Pages

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

SHOP GIRL.




Three quarters of the way through my first year of teaching, my principal told me it was likely, due to the budget crisis (this was in 2008), that my job wouldn't exist the following year.  I felt really sad and scared, but very determined to find another plan.  An Urban Outfitters was opening in our little college town, and I applied for a job as the store's visual display artist.  I was called for an interview and was ultimately offered the job.  I was definitely pretty excited, and was mentally compiling ideas on what salvaged materials I would love to source on my drives to and from my teaching job.  In the end, my job was safe for the next year, and I wasn't ready to move on from teaching.  I must say though, I've never quite given up on the idea of running the visual side of a store/ having my own shop someday...


This is part of the reason I really love working at a boutique.  I've been doing it for a bit over a year (2 different places, same location, long story)-- once I gave up on applying for teaching jobs here.  I get pretty excited about being a shop girl and getting creative with the window displays.  Sounds silly, but picking out mannequin outfits is fun!  And it's especially nice when customers come in and complement the window or buy something because they noticed it while walking by.  I created a Pinterest board for Valentine's Day ideas and Rachel (my super sweet boss) told me I could just go for it.  So on a quiet day last week I made watercolored-and-rubber-stamped-candy-conversation-heart-garland and paper carnations.  It turned out pretty cute.  I've been already collecting ideas for spring windows!





No comments:

Post a Comment