Pages

Sunday, June 10, 2012

VEGETARIAN "CLAM" CHOWDER

 
I really, really love this recipe.  I have never been a fan of seafood, but was always still intrigued by clam chowder.  I have been wanting to veg-ify a clam chowder recipe for a while--and it turned out great!  The nori gives it a bit of a sea flavor, and the chewiness of the shiitake mushrooms fill in for what I imagine the texture of a clam is like.  I also thought about buying Old Bay seasoning, but kept it simple.  Maybe next time... And, oh my goodness, I am in need of a better camera.  So sorry for the out of focus pics--my current one requires perfect lighting, and it was fading fast when I made this...someday soon! You get the idea of what the ingredients look like though...


Nori in hot water.


Shiitakes.




Vegetarian "Clam" Chowder:
* 3 large carrots
* 3 large stalks of celery
* 2 large potatoes
* 1 large onion
* 1 Tbsp. olive oil
* 3 sprigs of fresh thyme
* salt and pepper
* 1 c. of hot water + 1 sheet of nori, crumbled
* 2 c. water
* 1 c. milk (I used unsweetened soy)
* 2 Tbsp. cornstarch
* 1/4 lb. shiitake mushrooms, chopped
* 3/4 c. corn (fresh or frozen)
* 1 vegetarian boullion cube (I use Rapunzel)

Chop onion, celery, carrots, and potato into about 1/2" chunks.  In a large dutch oven or soup kettle heat oil on medium.  Toss in vegetables, fresh thyme, salt and pepper (I used about 1/8 tsp. of each).  Saute, uncovered for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Add hot water/nori combo along with 2 c. of water and bring to a boil.  Cover, then reduce heat to simmer for about 20-25 minutes, let vegetables get tender, and stir occasionally.  Add the boullion.  In a separate cup or bowl, stir the cornstarch into the milk until dissolved and chunks are totally broken up.  Add immediately to the soup and stir to mix it through.  Add the corn and mushrooms, stir to combine (don't cook the mushrooms too long, you want them to stay chewy and have a "clam" like texture).  Adjust the salt and pepper to taste.  Serve with crusty bread or crackers.  Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment