Pages

Thursday, June 7, 2012

JAM: NECTARINE BASIL & CHERRY!


It's jamming season again!  My friend Jeanne was just in town last week from Ithaca, and she loves fruit picking as much as I do.  So--we headed out to Brentwood, CA, where there are a ton of u-pick farms and spent the day picking cherries, peaches, and nectarines.  So yum!  We ate many of them, I froze a bunch, and what was left was turned into jam...It was a local affair--of course the fruit we picked-- but also lemons from our tree and basil from my garden.  I have been dreaming of using basil in sweet jam for the past few months, and settled on a basil/nectarine combo--delicious!  Holy wow!




I used Pomona's Universal Pectin, as usual.  I get mine at Whole Foods.  I also just use the VERY simple recipe included in the box.  I always make my jam with the minimal amount of honey or agave called for in the recipes--this is fruit, not candy, people!  :)


Raf was on his way out the door for a stroll, when he saw I was about to pit cherries with my new/vintage cherry pitter (69 cents at the thrift!).  These things are pretty fun to use (it launches the pit right out), so he changed plans and helped me instead.  Cutest helper ever...


Yikes--it looks like a bloody mess when you pit cherries!


I only made a small quantity of each--I am going to hoard those babies this year!


Deliciousness on a graham cracker...


So pretty!

p.s.  I added about a handful of chopped basil to the nectarine batch--it gave it just the right amount of basil essence.

No comments:

Post a Comment