Pages

Thursday, May 24, 2012

GARDEN SPACE--FINALLY!


We have had a dismal-looking backyard since we moved into our apartment almost two years ago.  It was totally overgrown and full of old junk. We have a giant window overlooking it and I would often sigh and daydream about cleaning it up and making it a nice space to hang out and grow a little garden.  A while back I asked my landlord to fix the gates--we had some random sketchy guy back there one night and another one in broad daylight removing (and taking for himself) the metal legs of a long ago discarded table...  Creepy!  Anyway, she fixed the gates, hired someone to level the ground out a bit, and then had some mulch dropped off.  It was a HUGE pile of mulch and it was starting to grow weeds.  One morning I had enough of daydreaming about it and just went out there and started cleaning it up.  I moved some of the mulch and then Raf helped me move more of it the next day.  Finally I put a call out a couple of ladies in our building and they were totally down, so we got together and finished cleaning it up!  I used old boards and an old wine crate as raised beds and added organic soil and compost.  One neighbor planted flowers, and I planted a vegetable garden (Early Girl tomatoes, green beans, lettuce, swiss chard, zucchini, and herbs--not bad for a little plot!) and replanted the succulents that were looking sad along the side of our building.  It looks so nice when I peek out our window!  What a happy space!  Now, I just can't wait for the harvest and for the blackberries growing along the back fence to come in...Yay!






No comments:

Post a Comment