Pages

Sunday, October 30, 2011

FALL THINGS.



Fall in the Bay Area is a beautiful thing. The weather is warm and sunny, the air smells heavenly, the produce is incredible. I just want to hang on to it for a really long time...

We have been trying to organize a building hang out for a while, and we recently did. A potluck dinner, some wine, and some pumpkin carving. It was really great to get to know the others living in our building a bit more. Our friend Lars, hosted the little shin dig. He cracked me up. You see, he is from Norway. When I asked if we could carve pumpkins at his party he said "sure". He even stopped me in the hall one day the week before. He asked what size pumpkin he should get and where he should buy it. I advised him. He said "okay". I started to walk away and he asked one more question: "What is pumpkin carving?". I thought that was fairly adorable. So, we showed Lars what pumpkin carving is all about. He did a great job--he was quite serious and dove right in!


Raf and Lucas played some Norwegian chess-like game that Lucas got while in Norway. A tribute to Lars' heritage while he in indulged our American tradition, I suppose. :) Dorothy looked on and supported us with our carving ideas. It was all pretty darn cute.


I think they turned out nice! Too bad it is so warm here right now that they lasted for less than a week. Now on to making our Halloween costumes and treats for Halloweira (our made-up Capoeira/Halloween celebration) this week...



Raf's folks came out for a visit a couple of weeks ago. We had a terrific time with them, showing them around a bit. We took a day trip out to Napa, did some wine tasting, and then had a picnic lunch with some food we purchased at an Italian deli. It was so good and such beautiful weather. I wish I had taken more photos, but I guess I was just enjoying it and forgot. One thing that made the trip (for Raf and me, anyway) was climbing a fig tree on the fancy property of a fancy winery to pick a bag full of figs that they were just letting fall to the ground and rot. His Dad may have been a little embarrassed :) but it was well worth it...Black Mission figs for a week--yum!


Turnbull Winery's property.


The folks looking cute in front of this old car.

No comments:

Post a Comment