Pages

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

COLLAGE.

So, I taught a collage class at UC Berkeley's campus Art Studio for six weeks early in the semester. It was really fun and I had some wonderful students, and it was a great experience for me to teach adults (although I miss my middle school students like crazy!). The classes are open to Berkeley students, but also to the community. My students had very little art experience, but they churned out some amazing work! I was so impressed...We used a technique that I love to teach which really develops drawing, color palette, use of line, shape, space, etc. I hope I get to teach this class again in the spring!


Catherine made this amazing boot collage. I love the shapes, text, and simple color scheme. She struggled a bit with trying to find the right subject matter, but once she found this she just went to town with it and I think it turned out so great.



Valerie's cat. I think it turned out so cool. She used this awesome textured paper for the fur and I love how you feel like you are really looking out a window. Not to mention the fact that the cat has such a personality. She ended up not loving this collage (which I think is crazy! :) but did some abstract ones of her own at home, which she enjoyed much more.



Adean's Eiffel Tower. I was so excited when she brought old train and city maps to class from her trip to Paris. It just made the finished piece feel so authentic and personal. Raf loves how the maps mimic the lines and texture of the structure. I agree, it gives it really good visual interest without being too fussy. It has such a mood, I can almost feel a gentle breeze and the sun shining.



Adean's work in progress. This is the beginning of a collage of her two daughters. I think it is going to turn out cool--great use of visual texture and recycled materials!

No comments:

Post a Comment