Pages

Friday, June 10, 2011

Candied citrus peels--hooray!




Last October I met up with a few of my BFFs in Colorado for a fabulous long weekend. We spent a day in Boulder, and one of our first stops was a locally owned spice shop. One of the items I picked up was a small bag of candied orange peels (orange gold!). I was brainstorming all of the fall baked goods I would add them to on my flight home. And then I realized that it was such a tiny bag, that I would probably have to ration it...I think I ended up adding them mostly to chocolate chip cookies, double chocolate chip cookies, and one batch of cherry scones. Then they were gone. I was considering ordering them online, when the spring issue of Edible East Bay came out. If you haven't checked out an "Edible" magazine from your region yet, do yourself a favor and get one or read them online! Anyway, there was a recipe from one of the Chez Panisse pastry chefs on how to make candied citrus peels...YES! So, I bought a few California-grown, organic oranges and Raf scavenged the 'hood for a few Meyer lemons--and let me just tell you: they turned out AMAZING! So many yums! You can use any citrus fruits, so I think next year, when they are in season I will try pomelos!

These have already been blanched (2 times for the lemons and 3 times for the oranges).

The peels right after they come out of the syrup.

After 2 days of drying.

Sugared in organic evaporated cane juice.

Some recommendations:
1. Use ORGANIC fruit! Afterall, the peel is where most of the pesticides are concentrated...
2. Make sure you simmer in the syrup until they are translucent.
3. Dry them for at least 2-3 days.
4. Use the juice for something yummy (I made lemon poppyseed scones, lemon tahini dressing, and drank the orange juice straight up!)
5. It isn't necessary to add the sugar at the end. In fact we like them better without it. It looks pretty though, and helps them to not stick together as much.
6. Add them to many-a-baked-good or savory dish, or eat them plain!!

No comments:

Post a Comment