Pages

Saturday, August 6, 2011

Weekend Breakfast: Hazelnut Waffles!


On the weekends, Raf and I typically pick one day to make a really good breakfast. We usually go for a frittata of sorts, but the past two weekends we have been making hazelnut waffles. It is pretty cute because we have a little hazelnut assembly line: I toast them, he peels them and puts them in the grinder, and then I grind them and add them to the batter!


These waffles are pretty darn good...I have tried a few recipes with my waffle maker and I have had some major fails. The batter can be too thin, not have enough fat, and the worst is when it sticks to the waffle iron. Speaking of, I am so glad I purchased a waffle iron a few years back--I don't use it very often, but when I do, it makes me so happy! It always feels super fancy and special to make your own waffles. The recipe I used is below. It has come out perfect both times... I adapted it a tiny bit, but it came from a cookbook called Savory Baking, which I HIGHLY recommend. I served them with Gimme Lean veggie sausage, blueberries, bananas, maple syrup and an almond milk latte! Yum!



Hazelnut Waffles (makes 6)

*** If you don't have a waffle iron, I think this batter would work nicely for pancakes too!

* 1/3 c. hazelnuts (toasted, skinned and coarsely ground--but you could use any nuts you have)
* 1 1/4 c. flour (I used white whole wheat, but I think a combo of 1/2 unbleached white and any other whole grain variety would be good)
* 1 tbs. organic sugar (or any sweetener)
* 1.5 tsp. baking powder
* 1/4 tsp. salt
* 2 eggs or equivalent egg replacement
* 1 c. milk (I used almond)
* 1/4 fat (I used canola oil, but you could use melted butter, etc.)
* 1/2 tsp. vanilla

Set waffle iron on medium-high. Preheat your oven or toaster oven on a low setting to keep finished waffles warm while they other cook. Mix all of the dry ingredients, including nuts. Whisk the eggs, milk, and oil or butter in a separate bowl. Combine the two. Blend until all of the flour is incorporated--makes a fairly thick batter. Brush oil or butter onto the iron using a pastry brush. Put about a 1/3 c. of batter into the iron at a time. The waffles should steam a lot while cooking, when they stop steaming, they should be about done, but you can usually tell by looking at them! Enjoy!

Best purchases ever (except that I got the pitcher out of a free pile!) along with my AeroLatte milk frother...

Almond milk, cinnamon, and Berkeley Blend latte--yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment