Pages

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Blackberry/Chocolate Chip/ Hazelnut Muffins

During an attempt to begin beautifying the small patch of outdoor space in the back of our building, I had an amazing discovery... In the back corner I noticed berries growing, and as I moved closer, I found it to be a really large patch of blackberries! Really lovely, really delicious blackberries. Super perfect, actually. :)


So I picked a bowlful, brought them inside, and pondered what to do with them. Our local Trader Joe's just started carrying raw hazlnuts, which I had purchased. I had a bag of high quality chocolate chips on hand. I have a super good recipe for vegan muffins. Perfect! Not to mention I had a date the next morning with some people in our building to watch the WWC final between the US and Japan, so I had a perfect excuse to bake that night.

The recipe is one that I have developed and tweaked over the years. It works really well every time, regardless of how I switch up the ingredients. I have made them with a variety of fruits (dried and fresh), nuts, spices, chocolate or not. Feel free to mix it up as you want. This combo though, was particularly delicious. Something about chocolate and hazelnuts is so good, and the addition of the berries perked the flavor up and made it feel more summery. Oh, and toasting the hazelnuts is key--plus it makes them easy to skin. Give them a whirl!



Vegan Muffins:

1.5 c. unbleached flour (I actually used white whole wheat flour this time)
1.5 c. whole wheat pastry flour
3/4 tsp. baking soda
3/4 tsp. non-aluminum baking powder
pinch of sea salt
1/2 c. canola oil (or other fat of your choice)
3/4 c. maple syrup (or other sweetener of your choice--I sometimes use organic sugar)
1 tsp. vanilla extract (or any other extract you prefer)
1 tsp. vinegar (I use apple cider)
1 c. soy, rice, or almond milk
1 mashed up, ripe banana
1/4 c. chopped hazelnuts (or any other nut)
1/2-3/4 c. chocolate chips
3/4-1 c. berries

Preheat oven at 325. Sift dry ingredients together. Whisk wet ingredients. Combine. Put in muffin pan that is either greased or use muffin cups (I never use muffin cups!) Bake at 325 degrees for 30-35 minutes. Makes 1 dozen large-ish muffins! Yum!

p.s. This recipe also works well as bread if you prefer that shape over muffins. You may have to increase the bake time by 5-10 minutes, just check that they are done by poking a skewer or toothpick into the bread, baking until it comes out clean!

No comments:

Post a Comment